Thursday, September 16, 2010

FINAL DESTINATION

What's your destination?  We are constantly planning trips, events and outings and have a new destination daily.  We go to work, school, church, shopping and anywhere else our hearts desire.  We jump in the car sometimes not even knowing where we are going, punch the location in our GPS and let it lead us to our destination.  We walk for excercise, not out of necessity.  A dramatically different lifestyle than the average Honduran person.

I'm still adjusting to being back from an amazing mission trip to Honduras.  Culture shock!  Funny, you would think I would experience it there among all the poor, impoverished conditions that we witnessed, but no, I experience it most when I get back home.  I remember returning from my very first trip to Honduras and when we got off the plane in Houston, I cried for all that I saw around me, knowing what I had just left behind.  It is still the same feeling now after 9 years and 11 trips.  I have knots in my stomach and this incredible feeling that I didn't do enough....I want to do more.  Why do we have so much, and they have so little?  Why are we such a blessed country with freedoms and opportunities unimaginable to the Hondurans? 

The answer is simple....God.  This country has been blessed by God and each of us have been blessed as well.  We can NEVER take those blessings for granted.  They were not given to us for just our own selfish satisfaction and comfort....we were all made to do more.  The more we have, the more we are expected to give and do.  The more we know, the more we should share what we know to help others.   I for one, know that I fall short of that and I am working on doing a better job using the abilities, blessings and freedoms given to me by God, to make a difference. 

As we left Honduras, each of the team members said their good-byes and boarded their respective planes.   It was sad to say goodbye to family that we had come to know and love, not knowing if we would ever see them again.   When I heard the stewardess say that Memphis was my 'final destination', I remember thinking that really it wasn't.....Heaven is my 'final destination' and that made me smile.  For all the team members, Hondurans, missionaries and friends that we left behind, we will see them again someday.  In the meantime, we have to do all that we can to make sure that we invite as many people as possible on this incredible journey to the greatest, most awesome FINAL DESTINATION.