Monday, February 14, 2011

Beautiful Feet

It rained all day today, so the already muddy field just got wetter and more slippery. It didn’t slow us or the Hondurans down a bit. Tarps and tents were put up and we slopped on. We saw 75 families and 18 people were saved. There are so many people that touched my heart today, it would be hard to even begin to tell their stories. Their stories however will be forever etched in my heart and mind. Of all the amazing people and moments today, the part that humbled me the most was the feet.

As we sat on the sticky mud floor of our pole-barn church, the children pressed in around us anxiously waiting their turn to get bracelets, stickers, crayons, etc. I looked down and saw their mud-caked bare feet and thought of Moses as he approached the burning bush and removed his sandals because he was on Holy ground.

We always sing the song ‘Holy Ground’ before we start clinic in each new location and declare the ground we are working on Holy. It seemed they were walking with bare feet on Holy ground. Even though these people weren’t barefoot by choice, I somehow felt that they were blessed by the ground God had laid before them. I was in awe that God had allowed us to be a part of this path and the feet I saw before me appeared quite beautiful. At the end of the day, our feet were mud caked as well and quite disgusting, but somehow none of us seemed to mind. At least we had shoes….somewhere under the multiple layers of mud.

…..how beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news. Romans 10:15 As I looked at the children standing before me with their big brown eyes and beautiful smiles, I couldn’t help but think they had BEAUTIFUL FEET.