Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Through Honduran Eyes

I wonder sometimes what the Hondurans see, during our mission trips to Honduras. Do they see God’s love in our faces and in our actions? When we are unable to communicate clearly, does God communicate for us?

I think He does……

A View of our Clinic through Honduran eyes:

We arrived at the medical clinic provided by the North Americans, not sure of what to expect. My family and I desperately needed medical treatment and supplies. In church, we heard about God and how he loved us enough to send His Son to die for our sins. I felt a little twinge in my chest as Pastor Saul prayed, but I wasn’t sure about such a simple sounding salvation.

After church, a nice man took our picture. My kids laughed hysterically as this man, made goofy sounds while trying to make us smile. I didn’t understand what he said, but I saw love on his face.

Next, we were asked about our needs by some nurses. The looks on their faces and concern in their eyes said that they truly cared about our problems. The nurses sent us to the doctors, where they took care of us with gentle hands and loving smiles. They held my children and kissed their faces as they whispered words I could not understand.

At the eye clinic, I was intimidated by the eye machine that looked a little scary. Suddenly, three women had their hands on me and were praying. I didn’t understand their words, but I felt a peace in my heart. After they put the machine to my eyes, they brought me a pair of glasses and a Bible to read. As I opened the Bible and began to read, my heart stood still. “If you say with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved….” I had tears in my eyes as I told them the glasses were good and I heard them say “Gloria a Dios”. They were praising God for my sight!

The last stop for us was the dentist. My son was really afraid, but knew that it was the only way to end his pain. A nice lady and man patted his arm as the dentist prepared him to have a tooth pulled. They all looked at my son with love in their eyes. In just a few moments, the tooth was out, my son was smiling and we were on our way.

As we started to leave, some men brought us a bag full of food and supplies. I couldn’t wait to get home and read the Bible they gave us. Then, just as I thought we were free to go, the preacher asked if he could pray with us. He prayed a prayer in Spanish about blessings for my family and finally I understood.

These people were sent here by God. They didn’t just come to give us medical treatment and supplies; they came to show us God. As the preacher finished his prayer, I asked God to come into my life and I was saved! I went home with joy in my heart.

*****************************************************************
You may not speak my language…..but I understand your actions.
You listened to my problems…..God listened to my thoughts.
You took away my pain….I felt God’s comfort.
You gave me sight….I saw God.
You gave me hearing…I heard God speak.
You healed my wounds….God healed my heart.
You gave me food….God nourished my soul.
You carried my body…God carried my spirit.
You prayed unknown words….I asked Jesus into my heart.
You truly were the hands, feet and heart of Jesus to me.