Thursday, May 24, 2012

Honduran Life

O how I wished I had a camera today!  So many memories etched in my mind forever.  The first half of the day was filled with bookkeeping, then Hector said it was time to go pick up our trucks from the shop in San Pedro.  There was so much going on at Faith Home, we opted to ride a bus in so we could get them both at the same time.  Jose Ricardo joined us because we had to go visit a potential employer for him.  We walked the dirt road down to the highway and waited…and waited…and continued to wait.  I have no idea how long it was because Hector said don’t take anything that anyone would be tempted to steal.  Thus, I left my watch, my camera and my purse behind.  I just had my passport, driver’s license and a little cash in my secure pocket on my pants. 

When the bus finally arrived, we climbed on board where I immediately smiled and greeted the passengers who looked back at me like I was a foreigner…O wait – I am!  As we squeezed in between everyone, the heat and stench quickly made their presence known.  It was the longest, most uncomfortable bus ride ever.  No singing team-mates, no laughter or tears.  Just some Honduran upbeat music, a man selling something ‘fresco’ insistently, the door guy whistling nonstop to get more passengers and constant stops as we weaved in and out of every little community on the way to San Pedro.
As I absorbed the sights, sounds…and smells, I started thinking about how most Hondurans must travel this way every day.  Even our transition kids ride the bus to get to school and work.  It is their way of life.  One of the things I want to do is understand their culture, so this was a good start.  When Hector finally signaled that it was time to get off the bus, we squeezed through the people and out onto a street corner that was several blocks away from our trucks.  A man ushered us to his taxi and we whipped in and out of traffic until we arrived at our destination.  We had several stops to make, all of which seemed to take forever and nobody seemed to be in a hurry.  Finally, we arrived at Jose Ricardo’s potential job and visited with the nicest people.  I have no doubt that God orchestrated this opportunity through a special lady from Jose’s past.  He starts to work on Monday and now we just have to figure out living arrangements for him in San Pedro.  God is good!
The drive home consisted of me weaving in and out of traffic, trying to keep up with Hector and learning Spanish from Jose as I drove.  He didn’t seem to mind my crazy driving.  Apparently here, I fit right in.  When we finally arrived back at Faith Home, Jose thanked me for a good day and said good-bye.  Reflecting on this day, I wouldn’t trade the scenic bus ride, laid back people, crazy traffic or the conversation with Jose for anything.  Thank you Lord for a good day!