Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Different kind of Thanksgiving Delivery


For the past twelve years I have been blessed to spend my Thanksgivings preparing and delivering meals to those who couldn't get out or have anyone to share Thanksgiving with.  I was always accompanied by amazing friends and church family.  After the deliveries, my family had Thanksgiving Dinner and spent the rest of the day visiting and making memories.  

Early this week I began to think about Thanksgiving and how much I would miss the deliveries, my family, church and friends.  Then I began to think about all of the people here in Honduras who needed food and a touch from someone who cares.  They may not celebrate Thanksgiving here, but we could still deliver food.
Some of the Faith Home kids came together to pack bags of beans and rice and other ingredients to distribute to families in a needy community La Bomba.  







 
As we hiked up the 'million' stairs to the top, multiple times, with our bags, I heard everyone struggling to breathe but still climbing to reach the top.  They helped and encouraged each other until finally we had all the bags up there.  



 
Maria gathered everyone in a circle, and our Faith Home kids held hands with the children from La Bomba as they shared what they were Thankful for.  My heart was full as I watched our kids take the hands of kids less fortunate than them.  They showed God's love to the children of La Bomba and I'm pretty sure God showed His love to them as well.



When I was asked to say a few words, I shared my heart.  I explained about our North American tradition of Thanksgiving and that even though I miss my family and friends, I am thankful for those that stood in that circle.  I am thankful for this day in which God showed me how to have....a different kind of Thanksgiving delivery.