Thursday, March 4, 2010

Terrific Thursday!!

Another super cool awesome day in Honduras!  I had the honor of holding the hand of 155 Honduran children today and praying for blessings on their lives.  Today we saw a lot of head lice and a lot of sores on the children....didn't matter though.  We were there to be the hands, feet and face of Jesus to those people.  I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't have been afraid catching anything, so neither was I.  They make medicine and shampoo for things such as that.  As I held some of the bumpy, sore hands and prayed for the children, I began to think about the difficult path ahead of them.  I choked back tears, as I prayed harder and more specific for each one of them.  I prayed that God would plant a seed in their hearts today, so that as they face their futures, they would remember a kind smile, friendly touch and the words 'Jesus te ama'.... and they would know that Jesus loves them.  I am confident that God planted many seeds through us this week.  Someone mentioned that they wondered before they came what difference we could really make with a little medicine and other services offered for one day in the midst of a lifetime of difficulty for the Hondurans.  We all agreed that we know the true difference was what they saw in us.  This team truly was the hands and feet of Jesus this week.  We all got to take time with the people and interact with them outside our designated duties.  It was amazing!  After church, I got to spend hours just playing with the kids. 
I sat on the trailer with a group of children and colored for a while.

I also got to spend several hours just playing clapping games with Cynthia and Heidi. 

Leona Cole and I walked out into the village, while the team was finishing up, to visit some of her friends from when she was a missionary here.  As I heard the bus starting up, I looked around at the peaceful lifestyle, beautiful scenery and then at my little friends, Cynthia and Heidi, holding each of my hands.  I found myself thinking about what it would be like if the bus forgot me and left.  Okay, I know that's not practical and yes I came back to reality, but it really saddened me to leave El Banano today.  As I ponder that irrational thought, I wonder what about that life appealed to me?  Simplicity....their simple lifestyle, yet their eagerness to love.  Think I could stand a 'back to basics', simpler life and to love more.  Lots of lessons learned this week and lots of things on my mind.  My prayer is that I sort it all out and allow God to use this week's experiences to build my character into who I need to be, so that I'm prepared for what He has planned for my life. 

The team is getting up early for a sunrise service at the Faith Home chapel.  Then we have a full day of visiting the women's coop, pizza party with Faith Home children, inventory of supplies, trip to market and then wrap things up to go home. This week passed way to fast for me.....