Sunday, February 20, 2011

Going Home....but not Finished

This is the first time I haven’t cried when I left Honduras. I had a peace about leaving, but yet a certainty that I would be back. I have to….my heart is there.

The team generally shares our experiences each night during devotion and worship time. One night as I cried and shared my feelings on some of the things we saw, someone said that it was nice to see that you never get ‘used to it’. I pray that I never get used to seeing people suffer and live in poverty.

So now as I return home, and reflect on this past week I know that there is much to do and no time to waste. We often cruise through life thinking that it’s all about us and what makes us happy and is convenient. We were made for more. To do more….be more. I am my happiest when I’m helping others.

As I carried one of the children this week down the road, the child started to get heavy. My back was hurting and my legs were getting tired, but there was no way I was going to put the child down and make him walk through the mud. I thought of a quote I heard one time “he’s not heavy….he’s my brother”. The inconveniences that we encounter while doing things for others are insignificant, if we put them in the perspective of who they are or better yet….whose they are. Jesus said “If you do this for the least of these, you do it for me”.

I have so many thoughts to process from this past week. So many experiences and encounters with people who didn’t just steal my heart, they encouraged my spirit. My prayer is that this blog will allow others to see the ministry in Honduras and be inspired. I want everyone to see past me and see the needs and the urgency to make a difference in the lives of people around us…wherever we are.

You may not be called to Honduras on a mission trip, but you do have a mission. Look around and see people crying out for help. We all have circles of influence and maybe you are the only person that can reach or help someone. Life is an adventure and each day holds endless opportunities to meet a divine appointment. As the song says ‘You don’t want to miss this”. I know I don’t!

I may be going home, but my mission is not finished……..