Friday, June 3, 2011

Finish Strong

Our last day of clinic was absolutely amazing. By now, the team had the flow of people running through smoothly and even though we had worked long, hard days, we had an energy and determination to finish strong.

The most amazing thing about these mission trips is the overwhelming presence of God. The type of undeniable presence that reminds you that God is awesome and working in the lives of His people. Impossible acts were performed through a team of people, from various areas and professions, that God used for His glory. Not only were we used by God, we were forever changed by God. We came not only to serve, but were molded more into people God can use wherever we go.

Watching the Hondurans watch the team, I know that God was revealing Himself to their hearts and they also will be forever changed by what they saw and heard this week. We may never see the results in the individual lives of the people we grew to love this week, but I am confident that we will hear about God moving in Honduras in the future. God is going to bless this country and bless these people.

Of all the overwhelming moments of God Thursday, the one that gripped my heart to the core was a woman who came to they eye clinic around lunch time. The whole time I was testing her eyes and finding the ‘perfecto’ pair of glasses, I kept noticing the look in her eyes. I saw a look of sadness and I kept patting her arm and giving her an encouraging smile. Just as she was about to go, I felt I needed to do more so with Cristina Lindsey’s help, I talked to her about the things going on in her life. Turns out I was able to relate somewhat to her problems and share how God had carried me through similar circumstances. She seemed encouraged as we prayed for her and offered her hope and power that comes from Jesus.

As I think about the strong finish to the incredible week, I know we must apply this to our lives at home. Sometimes, we don’t have a clue what we are doing, but if we serve with a willing heart, God will guide us and give us the strength to FINISH STRONG.


The Eye Team