Sunday, February 12, 2012

Excited!

As we arrived in El Banano this morning to worship, I searched the crowd for the friends that I knew in that community. We walked down the grown up path to the last place I had seen Sadia, the young girl we helped with hearing aids. My heart sunk as I saw the abandoned shack that we had last visited the amazing girl who stole our heart. It appeared that nobody had been there in a while. I prayed that God would bless Sadia and her family, wherever they are, and that I would get to see her again someday.

I could hear the awesome sounds of Honduran worship, as we returned to the church. It was beginning to rain and the building was packed, as well as the thatched roof shelter outside the church. Through the crowd, I saw one of my little friends, Heidi, standing on the side of the road near the church. Her eyes lit up as she recognized me, and she quickly came over saying my name. The hug of a child is always special, but this little girl’s hug came with a whisper in my ear from God ‘this is why you are coming here’. I lifted Heidi up to the window so she could see inside the church as we clapped and sang in worship.

The children gathered in another area for children’s church. Their voices were like angels, as they sang the children’s songs with all their heart. After loving on a few babies, I snuck in among the children while they were having their lesson. I scanned each face, looking for my friend Cynthia. Suddenly, I spotted her at the front of the group and she let out a squeal as she ran and jumped into my arms. She just kept hugging tightly and then taking my face in her hands and looking at me like she wasn’t sure I was real. She was my shadow for the rest of the morning.

After church, we walked down another road where Sadia’s grandmother used to live, hoping to find her. We were told she had moved, but was doing well with her hearing aid. Cynthia and Heidi each held my hand, and as we walked down the dirt road together, I had a flash back in time. February 2010, these same two little girls had accompanied me and Leona Cole as we visited the ladies co-op on the backside of El Banano. That was one of the first times that I felt myself wishing that I could just stay in Honduras, and considered it as a possibility.

I am excited to see what God is going to do in the community of El Banano. I am excited to see God move in Honduras. I am excited to see God work through the children of Faith Home. I am excited to be a part of this incredible ministry!