Sunday, February 28, 2010

Great Day!

Today was a great day.  We went into town, ate lunch and went to the grocery store.  Then on to visit the sites that we would be working at this week to get a layout and a plan.  La Sabana is where we will be Monday and Tuesday.  Medical, Dental, Glasses, Hearing Aids, etc. will be at the school.  The church is about a quarter mile from the school.  As we walked to the church, taking in the sights of the houses and the people, I was once again overwhelmed at the simplicity of Honduran life.  They may not have much by our standards but they have a lot that we often miss.  We get so wrapped up in all the things we have to do - no, the things we WANT to do and all the places we WANT to be, that we seldom slow down and just enjoy the simple things in life.  As I watched the two women sitting out in front of their houses visiting, the girl washing her hair in the outside wash basin, the children playing in the dirt, I was somewhat envious.  I mean, I know they have their problems that make my petty problems seem ridiculous.  But they also have a peaceful, patient no hurry, no stress lifestyle.   I'm thinking... back to the basics.  What's really important?  What happened to the times when people sat around and visited with their neighbors?  Took time to talk to the person in line at the store?  Do we even pause to wait for a response when we ask someone how they are doing?  Children playing with other children in their neighborhood instead of glued to a computer, tv or video game?  Families spending time together?

As I asked the Hondurans that I passed how they were doing and waited for their response, I noticed that most of them not only said they were good, they asked me how I was and then said Glory to God or God bless you as they SMILED.  I may only know a little spanish, but I'm confident that a smile is the same in any language.  I'm definitely going to take a lesson from them on this and challenge others to do the same.  Ask someone how they are and actually listen to what they say.  Take time to visit a neighbor or friend you haven't seen in a while.  Turn off the tv and talk to your family.  Slow down and look around at what you might be missing or taking for granted.  Whatever we think we have to hurry up and do will still be there and I'm sure we'll find that we even have extra time after it's done.

While I snapped pictures of the scenery, the houses and the children I noticed the beauty, despite the structures.  Beauty in God's creation.   Looking past the sad conditions I saw the beauty of a country, a people eager to meet US. Why do they seem so happy to see us?  I'm sure they know we have something to give them...and we will.  Tomorrow we will share God with them as well as meet their physical needs.  As we see hundreds of people, I want us to see each of them as an individual that God has brought for us to witness and show His amazing love to.  Pray that we will be the hands, feet and voice of God to the Honduran people.